Running is fantastic fun and great exercise. We can however shake it up and see both mental and physical benefits. Try these 10 ideas:
1. Open your mind to doing more than running. A lot of runners find that they literally can’t run off of tarmac, or stop mid-run, as it disturbs their rythm. This is what we want – let’s do it.
2. Run off the beaten track. Through the woods, meadow or down by the river. It is not only beautiful but it will start to challenge you with dips, curves and uneven ground forcing you to use additional muscles and therefore expanding your benefits.
3. Sprint barefoot! On the grass, take off those newton running shoes and add in a few sprints. Shorten your step and become one with nature. Sprinting can have major fat loss benefits.
4. Jump over things. Field of hay bales? Get in there and start clambering. Not only is it fun but it will work up quite a sweat.
5. Find a log and do some step ups. You do them in the gym but here it is so much better. Log sizes vary, step heights change and the scenery is so much nicer.
6. See that small log… pick it up and press it above your head a dozen times. Your shoulders and arms will love you for it!
7. Hop. Find a big log, place you hands on it and hop over. Repeat for a dozen each side. Feel those sides warming up?
8. Squat! Nothing works the core like squatting. Get a small log on your shoulders and keeping your backtight squat down and return. A dozen of them will work you all over like you won’t believe.
9. Throw something. There must be a fair sized stone around. Pick it up and practise your shot putt. Your arms will be glowing in no time.
10. Try some pulls ups. You pass enough trees so why not grab a branch and pull yourself up.
Keep your mind open to what is around you and what you can use to make an enjoyable experience even better and even more physically rewarding. Try it… it may put an even bigger smile on your face.